Role and Purpose
ACET is seeking to recruit a Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist to provide technical leadership and strategic direction for monitoring and evaluation (M&E) at an institutional and programmatic level. The MEL Specialist will lead ACET in developing a performance measurement framework with sound measurement models, data collecting tools and performance indicators. S/he will also lead the planning and managing of evaluations and assist ACET’s management in using performance information for decision-making and resource allocation.
The African Center for Economic Transformation (ACET) is one of the pre-eminent organizations in the world focused on advancing African solutions to African transformation challenges.
Driven by a commitment to support governments address the policy and institutional barriers that hamper sustained economic growth on the continent, ACET was founded in 2008 with the support of national governments alongside major multilateral, bilateral donors and foundations. ACET is an economic policy institute that provides research, policy advice, and institutional strengthening for African countries to develop their economies, reduce poverty, and improve livelihoods.
ACET helps deliver African economic transformation, defined as growth with DEPTH – through a unique, integrated approach.
Growth with DEPTH is a framework developed by ACET that turns transformation from a concept into a practical policy agenda. Growth with DEPTH has been used to help Africa’s public and private sectors address the policy and institutional barriers that hamper sustained growth.
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Specialist (MEL Specialist)
Reporting Line: Chief Operating Officer
Location: Accra or Remote
Roles and Responsibilities
Specifically the MEL Specialist will:
• M&E Strategy – provide technical leadership to develop institutional and programmatic theory of change frameworks
• M&E Framework – develop results frameworks including indicators, baselines and targets for new projects and where necessary, refine existing frameworks of ongoing program/projects
• Planning – work closely with the technical and operational teams to design M&E plans and activities
• Data Collection and Analysis – regularly collect and analyze data on activities, outputs, outcomes and Impacts to inform accountability to stakeholders and learning from experience
• Reporting – provide leadership for effective, accurate and timely monitoring, evaluation, and reporting results of all project and program activities. S/he will also be responsible for working with the Communications team to ensure effective dissemination of ACET results
• Process improvement – assess ACET’s M&E capacity and seek ways to streamline the process and increase efficiency in gathering and using performance information. This could include an M&E assessment and roadmap for the function (human resources, budget, etc.). The MEL Specialist will ensure that lessons learned are integrated into program implementation to continuously improve quality of interventions and outcomes
• Training – provide guidance and training to ACET staff for effective activity monitoring, evaluation and learning
Partner Engagement – work with ACET’s partners to ensure ACET’s M&E planning, activity monitoring and results dissemination process is endorsed and used by partners. This includes co-creation of indicators, and documenting and disseminating program successes, impacts, and challenges to ACET’s stakeholders. The MEL Specialist will also support and contribute to ACET’s relationship management with funders & sponsors, including drafting ACET’s annual report
• Quality Assurance – work closely with ACET technical and operational team to develop strategies and processes towards enhancing quality assessments and overall performance
• Communication – work with ACET’s communication office to develop methods of communicating ACET’s impact and influence
• People Management – manage the ACET M&E analyst
• Any other duties or responsibilities that may be assigned from time to time in support of ACET’s mission.
Required skills & Experience
• Master’s degree in monitoring and evaluation or a related discipline such as development studies, economics, political science, social science, program management etc.
• Proven track record of successfully developing and implementing an impact measurement framework for a development institution. Experience of doing this in an economic policy institute will be an asset
• Minimum of 5 years post-master’s experience of performance monitoring and/or evaluation with an international development organization
• Demonstrated experience in project monitoring, and evaluation of development activities including evaluation design, and related advisory in multisectoral setting
• Experience in developing logic models for programs and projects is required
• Experience in leading the implementation of performance management plans or tools of institutional portfolios
• Experience in developing or managing M&E databases is highly desired
• Proven experience in effective people management.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Excellent research and data collection methodology skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills to deal effectively with mid and high-level partner contacts, the host government, and the local communities
• Strong interpersonal skills
• An ability to work in French will be an asset
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email their CV and an accompanying Cover Letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the position to:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact details of 3 references will also be required. The closing date for the receipt of applications is Friday, 16th February, 2024.
Interviews will be held either virtually or in-person if the candidate is based in Ghana.